Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bliss?

Bliss

So I wasn't in class this past week due to extremely sick children. I got to stay at home all week with a two year old and a five month old both with colds and on breathing treatments for nasty coughs that kept them up or woke them up. For the last two weeks my husband has slept in our daughters room and our son has slept in my bed and neither of us have had more than 4-5 hours sleep straight for more than one day. It has been crazy and exhausting. So when I read that I had to do something for myself for 2.5-3 hours my first thought was sleep! My next and most realistic thought was "I don't HAVE 2.5-3 hours!" I get this time when I am in class or the one day I have classes. So...my "me" time has to wait until Monday or after the kids are asleep but then that is my husband and me time. So being given this assignment has caused me to think "what will I do?" I figure I can have "me" time Monday but this assignment will be due before then.
I have no idea what I would do...
  1. Sleeping =  doesn't actually make me happy if I get more than 6 hours at night and I can't take naps.
  2. Play video games = I can't honestly play video games for three hours straight or I feel lazy.
  3. Read = this I could for three hours, but I am the type of person that "plays" or relaxes AFTER I get all my work done so this wouldn't do either. 
So I think for the 3 hours I will read a bit, play a bit and then create something for fun like a few cards or work on my new educational blog for parents logo. Which is not a commitment btw its just for fun and hopefully to help parents who want to work with their kids and find ideas and help.

I felt pressured by this assignment. I get "me" in small amounts every 1-2 days and that has always been enough for me. I don't like to sit and do nothing, or sit for too long without working on something. I always have time for my kids and get my work done early (when possible) so that I can have more time to relax, enjoy my kids or a video game or extra "me" time. I just prefer to have the "work" done first. But it is all a balance, and one I learned a long time ago. You can't live your life constantly working and you have to make time for yourself. I do this already so this assignment didn't teach me anything new and all it did was cause me to creatively plan those three hours so I am not "working" on commitments, but can still be me and work on something. I assumed cleaning and organizing were considered commitments.

I don't think it affected me creatively...My creativity doesn't come for doing nothing, it comes from being me and this assignment seemed like it tried to get me to not be me. Maybe not intentionally and I wound up figuring out how to be me and do it anyway, but I don't need "me" time to be creative.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment