Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stuff it....

Stuff it....

Again I wasn't in class and was not given a stuffed animal. So I had to find one of my own. Which when you have two kids you think would be easy. I didn't know what I was going to do with it and the last thing I wanted to tell my son was mommy needed his friend for her project and I'm sorry it got destroyed. So this is the one I have chosen and he won't miss at all (just in case).

Frog Stuffed Animal
 Well after thinking about what I could do with this stuffed animal AND trying to find a contradiction in what I decided to do AND find the harmony after it was done, I decided to forget the stuffed animal. 

I felt that the scope of the project was more to get you to find a contradiction and then the harmony in your work not necessarily using a stuffed animal to do it. The fluffy critter was severely cornering my creativity, which yes I have to deal with for clients, but my brain works two ways. If it is for me, I shouldn't and don't have limitations. If it is for a client I have them. My brain also thinks differently depending on that. I think more "me" for projects for me and for school, but professional and more the "client" when working. Anyway, that is not the topic here....

With that limitation out of the way I then tried to focus on finding something I could do that showed a contradiction and then a harmony. Once again, it was limiting my thought process. First I kept getting hung up on the stuffed animal, since it was a frog. I tried coming up with things that wouldn't go with a frog and then try to figure out how to make them go. Then I focused on the stuffed animal part and said screw the frog part, focus on it just being stuffed and animal. Then I kept getting hung up on that. What could I do with a stuffed animal? Sure I could destroy it and use its innards for some other project that was pretty or nice. Sure I could open it up, remove the stuffing and replace it with live frogs. Wait is that a contradiction or a cruel irony? Maybe its neither..anyway...

Finally I decided to just do something I wanted to do. I made a zombie in photoshop. Sure, boring, I know, but its always fun for me. So here is the before picture I found online. (not sure where). I see this picture and think that this girl is getting ready for a party or a date or something. She wants to look her best.

Awww how pretty.

 Then I did what I do and viola! I consider the contradiction here to be that we always look different to ourselves then to others. She is cute (left version of her) and normal looking, but in the mirror she is hideous and rotting. Clear contradiction...or close enough.


Still pretty!


 The harmony - to me anyway and thats all that really matters - is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. She looks like a normal girl but sees herself as this hideous creature BUT she still thinks she is pretty and getting ready for that date! 

She doesn't see herself as others do and in fact she sees herself like a lot of people see themselves. She sees gross, ugly, disgusting etc. Things most people have thought when they looked in the mirror at least once in their life. The girl here, however, sees all that and thinks she is pretty because of it! 

Maybe I don't explain it very well, because it sounds more like a moral, but the ugly and the pretty came together in a harmonious way and that is Beautiful! Well to me it is...and again I am the only opinion that matters...well maybe Beth's should count too since it is for her class.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment