Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fear Project - The experimental part

So my project was a video about missing children set to music. Primarily about my fear of my son going missing. Here is the link to the video..

http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~sz2/n385/



I figured it would be a downer and I generally assumed most people wouldn't react at all. I was right. I didn't figure I was one of TWO parents in the room though. I felt a little old lol. I asked how people felt after viewing it and a few (only a few answered) said they felt either desensatized, sad, one said angry. Beth said it didn't "hit home" until I said that the kids used in the missing posters were real kids and from around IN. I did this on purpose. It sparked a discussion but it sort of turned away from missing kids to rape, losing a loved one etc.

People did ask me if I had anything happen that would cause me to think about this. A little girl I knew when I was about 15 was raped and murdered two blocks behind where I lived. She was 8 and riding her bike in front of her house when she was taken. There were a few other things that have happened to me that let me know at an early age that bad things can happen to little kids. Then watching SVU didn't help either.

I am paranoid a little more than I like to admit, but it doesn't come into play much. I am just extra aware of where my kids are at any given time. I hear all too often that "I just turned my back for a second" and I don't want to be one of those parents. I don't want to hover and be helicopter mom either though so I find a balance that keeps me at a distance so the kids can have a life and be independant, but close enough to be safe too.

If I had to do this again, I would adjust sound for sure lol, but I think i would have had to make a picture or video either showing or implying that it was MY son's body that was found to get a real reaction out of people while watching. I couldn't do that, even for a film...I barely made it through the missing poster but I knew it was necessary for the point and for my fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment